Thursday 29 January 2015

Hen Harrier

Sunny spells and wintry showers, 2°, breezy SW.

Lollingdon was relatively quiet again today, quite a few Fieldfare and Redwing feeding in the fields to the leeward side of the hill, 20+ Starling and up to 10 Song Thrush in the fields.

2 Great-spotted Woodpecker (1 drumming), 7 Grey Partridge, a few Red Kite, Buzzard, and a single Kestrel and a single Sparrowhawk noted.

I met TW out at Lollingdon, we discussed how quiet it was, and as it started to rain (sleet and frozen rain), I decided to walk home and we moved off in different directions.

Five minutes later as I had just entered a field, all the Thrushes flew up, I initially thought it was me that spooked them; however, they were all flying towards me. Within moments I saw a “ringtail” Hen Harrier appear flying low across the field, fly up over the tree line and disappear from view, from the view I got I would say an adult .

“Sods law” as I had put the camera away due to the rain and was not quick enough to retrieve it, I then rushed back to try to find TW but was unable to locate him.

I searched for a further 30 minutes but was unable to find the bird and presumably, it carried on towards the downs.

A Green Woodpecker in the garden this morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment